By Sadaf Ahsan
Originally Published by The National Post, June 12 2017
See article: Bachelor in Paradise shut down…
This season’s Bachelor in Paradise is idyllic no more.
According to TMZ, production has been shut down in Sayulita, Mexico by ABC and contestants have been “dismissed” after allegations of “misconduct” and alleged sexual assault.
“We have become aware of allegations of misconduct on the set of Bachelor in Paradise in Mexico,” Warner Bros. said Sunday in a statement. “We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations. Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action.”
The show, which follows 16 cast-offs from previous seasons of The Bachelor and Bachelorette as they attempt to find love (but mostly lust) with each other on a beach, is currently in its fourth season. It features “villains” from two recent seasons, including Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson (whose elimination was seen in last week’s episode of The Bachelorette, after it was discovered that he had a girlfriend at home who he had walked out on for the show).
The incident allegedly occurred between Olympios and Jackson, who had been encouraged by production to spend time together. The show was shut down after a field producer, assigned to shadow Olympios, filed a complaint that she appeared to be too drunk during filming to consent to Jackson in a swimming pool at one particular moment. Despite the producer’s initial complaint, the crew allowed the moment to play out anyway, leading the producer to believe Olympios was sexually assaulted.
Meanwhile, according to a source via TMZ, Jackson is claiming Olympios initiated the entire incident and suggested they take it to the pool. “He says he was unable to consummate things because he was so drunk,” the source noted.
Warner Bros. began an investigation into the incident after the report was filed. Whether filming will continue after it has concluded is still up in the air.